Saturday, September 26, 2009

Busy times :)

It's been a very long time since the last update - for that we apologize. It comes as no surprise, but things have been quite busy!

Last entry, Yoni was about to begin the academic portion (Phase I) of his pilot training. Thank G-d, he's been doing wonderfully and should begin Phase II with his dollar ride on Tuesday. What a way to start the new year after Yom Kippur, huh?

Phase II lasts about five months. During this time he will fly the T-6.





















Within a month of his dollar ride he should have his solo and then progress through different check points as he gains proficiency on the aircraft. While this is a bit down the road, at the conclusion of Phase II, he will "track select" to a different trainer which he will fly for the remainder of his year of training. The most likely options for track select are the T-1 (for heavies) and the T-38 (for fighters and bombers). We'll keep updating about his training and G-d willing within a month or so we'll have some fun solo pictures to post!

During his training over this past month, I've been keeping pretty busy as well! School's back in full swing, as I'm working toward six more credits for my Masters, and I've been working Mondays and Wednesdays in the afternoon/evening at Enid Learning Academy tutoring high school math.

In addition to this normal routine, we've had some variations every week or two. In the middle of August, Erica came to visit for a night along her drive from St. Louis back to Law School in Malibu. It was wonderful to see her for the first time since the wedding!

Then, in the end of August, Madi visited for a few days which was really fun! We saw some of the "sites of Enid" (the town square and Wal-Mart). We also took a day trip up to Caldwell, Kansas (only about an hour away) to 1) Let Madi cross Kansas off her "states I've never been to" list and 2) See some cool history about the Chisholm Trail and the land rush of Oklahoma.

About a week after that, I ventured to the East Coast for almost a week. I got into BWI on Thursday afternoon, before Labor Day weekend. I saw a few friends Thursday night, met up with Courtney for dinner, slept in Columbia, and saw just about everyone that I know in Pikesville throughout the day on Friday. While it was very difficult because Yoni couldn't come with me, it was wonderful to see everyone! I then stayed at Shuki and Cyrel's house for Shabbat, and my Mom came by Saturday morning to walk with me to the Chabad shul for my cousin Menachem's Bar Mitzvah. Most of the family was in town, so it was nice to see all of them as well! Menachem did a wonderful job as a Bar Mitzvah and spoke beautifully - what a good kid (or I guess I should say "man").

The following day, I caught an early flight to Albany, NY where my Dad picked me up at the airport to drive into Massachusetts for another cousin's wedding (a weekend full of simchas!)
Alyson and Phil had a gorgeous wedding outside in the amphitheater at the camp where they met each other. In addition to the enjoyment of seeing even more family, I was glad to attend simply for the beauty of the wedding itself and their wonderful relationship.

Here's a picture of me with the family before the wedding:
















The chuppah:

















My "money shot" as they ran back up the aisle as a married couple:

















The morning following the wedding, we joined the whole family for a brunch and then I headed back to Columbia, MD with my family. Tuesday morning I got my teeth cleaned (can't be in the town with the best dentist in the country and not get my teeth cleaned) and Michael took me to the airport to head back home to Yoni!

While this was a wonderful trip, I slept a different place every night for five nights and wore myself a little too thin. Needless to say, it took a few days to recover upon my return.

Then, lo and behold - Rosh Hashana was upon us! (How does time fly so quickly?)

Yoni was able to work really hard all week and do some things in advance to get released a bit early on Friday erev Rosh Hashana. This allowed us time to drive down to Dallas and spend the holiday with his family. Shuki, Cyrel, Sara Na'ava, and Gavi also came in town, so it was nice to see everybody.
Unfortunately, the weekend was not a typical Rosh Hashana in the community. Monday before Rosh Hashana, Cyrel's sister Shifra (who lives in Dallas - her husband is a kollel Rabbi), had a son. Thank G-d, the baby is doing very well. Shifra, however, contracted an infection and remains in critical condition at the hospital. The Doctors hope that with her age, and G-d's help, she should slowly be able to fight back and beat the infection in each organ. During these days with the Gates of Prayer wide open, we all prayed (and continue to pray) our hearts out that she should have a refuah shlema (complete health/recovery).

While it is not easy to see anybody go through something like this, especially someone so close to those you love, one thing about this situation continued to speak to me over Rosh Hashana, and throughout the whole week. So many people go to shul on Rosh Hashana, then come home, eat a meal and take it easy. They may go for a little walk, relax with a book, etc. Well not this Rosh Hashana. During every free moment that we were not in shul or eating, people arranged groups to read Tehillim, learn Mishnah, etc. The number of people whose prayer was enhanced in her merit must be in the hundreds.

It's often difficult to see the Divine reasons behind difficult experiences. Bitachon (trust in G-d's ways) is easy when things are going well. It's much more difficult to have that kind of faith when people you love suffer. For whatever reason Hashem made Shifra sick, I see so clearly how many lives she's been able to touch in such a short time by inspiring heartfelt tefillot (prayers) and commitments to learning Torah. Now we continue to pray that the merit her neshama (Shifra Bracha bat Mindel Fraid) receives from the davening will allow her body to regain its strength and have a full recovery.



For Yom Kippur, we are going to Oklahoma City, and then we plan to spend Sukkot here at Vance AFB. Our sukkah is already nearly assembled! All that's left is the light, schach (roof) and decorations (my department)! I am very excited, as this is actually my first sukkah ever. Here are some cute pictures of Yoni in the process of assembly, and hopefully we'll take some nice ones throughout the holiday to share in a later entry. :)












No comments: